Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Serving One and Other Rants

The most exciting thing about moving in with roommates is that I will have people to cook for. I am awful at just cooking for one. I will usually make enough food for an army and have the left overs sit in my refrigerator until I remember they are in there taking up space. I can't tell you how many tupperware containers I have had to sacrifice to the dumpster because the smell of old food wouldn't come unglued from the plastic.

I have wasted so much food in the past 10 months that I have lived alone that I am ashamed just thinking about it. Right now I have half a casserole dish of macaroni and cheese rotting in my fridge. I've bought loves of bread and never even touched them. They would just turn to mold. I have dumped half gallons of milk weeks past their sell by date, but first I would have to pull of the plastic tab to open them.

The guilt is so bad that I will leave stuff in my fridge even thought I know I won't use it and wait till the sell by date has passed to put it in the trash. Every time I do so I vow to start using what I have before going out to buy new and improved food, but that never happens. I think it may be a sickness. I don't have the patience to scale down recipes. Its just weird to me to cook with such tiny amounts. It seems unnatural.

I'm thinking of this all now because I am preparing myself for the massacre that will happen as soon as I get home. I'm planning on cleaning out my pantry and my fridge. I fear I will have no mercy, anything that has been in there for more than a month MUST GO.

This moving stuff is turning me into a raving lunatic. I'm restless and twitchy and my mind is going a mile a minute.

Should I bring over the dishes or my shoes tonight? Do I have to wrap the glasses? Do I think they would break if I just lay them in a box and drive really carefully? Will the couch even fit through the GD door? Where in God's name am I going to put all my coats that I won't need for another three months? I can't believe I'm giving up an apartment with 5 closets and abundant cabinet space and a walk in pantry.

Deep breath, we don't need tears.

This move will get done and I will find a place for everything and it will be good.

Or someone will pay....

No comments: