Friday, July 14, 2006

Leg-Cramps

For the past week my legs have been cramping up. Even as I type this I am force feeding myself dry apricots to up my potassium levels. Yes, dried apricots. I know you're thinking, "Why not bananas." Potassium and bananas go together like peanut butter and jelly, however I didn't have any bananas, but yes I had dry apricots. My last banana made an unceremonious departure from my apartment with me holding back the gags as I rushed to the dumpster. I'm not quite sure how the banana produced that much grossness, but I think its going to have to be a while before I purchase bananas again.

The apricots aren't that bad, once you get past the fact that they look like dried ears they're actually quite tasty.

I'm not exactly sure where the cramping is coming from. I wish I could list my rigorous exercise routine, stunning you with my cardio endurance and how much I can bench press, but alas the only thing I've done that burned calories this week in a walk on the beach and a marathon, bridesmaid shoe shopping expedition.

My best guess is that I have been dehydrated. I left work the other day realized that I had only gone to the bathroom once ALL DAY! That never happens, ever. I then realized that all I had to drink all day was my morning coffee. How that happened is beyond me. I had three bottle of water waiting in the fridge, but for some reason did not feel the need hydrate. Yesterday, to make up for it, I drank my weight in lemon-lime gatorade, which is my favorite gatorade flavor despite the fact that it gives me unpleasant flashbacks of summer basketball camp.

While I'm figuring dehydration, my mother is thinking much worse.

"Do you think your birth control is giving you blood clots?" I love how she pronounces birth control, like its a dirty word.

"I don't think so Mom, I've been on it for four years I don't know if they would just develop now."

"Well you never know, you should go see a doctor."

This conversation did lead me to laying on my couch last night reading and being distracted by the twinges in my legs, not full-blow cramps, but enough to notice. I couldn't help thinking that it was a clot that was slowly traveling to my lungs to kill me instantaneously and realizing that if that happens no one would probably find me for a while. That's a very depressing though, so I squashed it and went a long with my business. Thanks Mom.

I can't really blame her for her concern considering my younger brother has a kidney something-or-other and he has trouble absorbing the potassium in his blood; therefore, if he is not careful it will cause his muscles to paralyze temporarily.

He has a prescription for liquid potassium for emergencies, but my mom didn't find it humorous when I asked for a shot.

That's why I'm eating dried apricots like its my job. I'm sure I'll be regretting this later.

Update: OOWWWW, my stomach is killing me. I've actually OD'ed on dried apricots. This has to be a first.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

did you ever figure out what caused your cramps? i've been having the same thing for the last 5 days or so. i started back on my birth control 2 wks ago, after being off of it for like 4 months.