Thursday, July 27, 2006

ALL BACK!

I take it all back!

I am NOT excited to move in with roommates at all! They are annoying and anal and are judging my every move! I had the most annoying conversation with J last night in he kitchen.

I must preface all this with the fact that I have lived on my own for almost a year. When I moved in on my own, I furnished a four room apartment. I love to cook and my mother likes to cook and we both love to shop; therefore, I have an extremely well-equipped kitchen. J does not cook, has never cooked and has no idea what is required to perform that think called cooking.

"I just want to remind you." J starts as I'm very neatly stacking my spices in the tiny cabinets above the stove. "That there are three other people moving into this place."

"I know." I continue to place the tiny spice jars in neat lines.

"Well its just I can see you creeping into the other side of the cabinet, and then I can just see you continue on to the next." He's trying to be calm, but I can sense his discomfort. "What is all this stuff anyway. Do you really need it all. I think we all have to make sacrifices."

Translation. You, Kate, have to make sacrifices, because I am OCD and don't like what you are doing.

"J do you cook?" Knowing the answer is no I continue. "Yes I need this stuff, or will eventually, so sometime now or later I will need this stuff I don't' see the big deal if they're put in the cabinet now or later. Do you have more stuff to put in the cabinets besides food?"

"No."

"Does P?"

"No."

"Does A?"

"Not that I know of."

"Then I don't see the problem."

"I'm just saying, like with the margarita glasses, you have six, who needs six margarita glasses at the same time! We all have to make sacrifices and maybe you won't be able to bring everything you have."

At this point I snapped. The cabinet I had been placing stuff in maybe one foot by one foot. There are so many other cabinets with nothing in them, I lose it. The two spices in my hand go flying into the shopping bag and I yell.

"I give up! Everyone has to compromise except you! I have given tons of suggestions on how to expand the space and make the most out the little we have, but you're not receptive. You can't move the kitchen table, we can't get a pantry because you have a rinky dink microwave cart. You don't like clutter, but was in such a rush to get in here that we didn't evaluate the fact that there is NO STORAGE. I'm not sacrificing stuff for the kitchen because you have some weird thing about clutter!"

I think I shocked him, easy going Kate has been pushed to her breaking point. I felt bad after I yelled. I rarely ever get mad , but I was stressed, hungry, and sweaty. I don't deal well with being sweaty, and I was tired of being a doormat.

We worked it out and he apologized.

I did not.

I asked my other friend, girl J, who had witnessed the whole incident, if I had overreacted and she said totally not. Girl J is the most level-headed person I know, so that made me feel better.

Bottom line: Don't fuck with my kitchen.

No comments: