Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Fifth Roommate

He made his appearance last night. He just sat there unmoving, unphased and very unappologetic, like we were infringing on his turf. His presence changed the mood of the room, from lethargic to electrified.

I came down the stairs quickly, my bare feet slapping on the blonde wood. I didn't notice him at first, but he made no motion to be seen. I finally caught his movement out of the corner of my eye before facing him head on, not ready to make his acquaintance. At first I didn't register him, not expecting him to be there, I was quite surprised. I rudely gestured with my finger yelling accusingly at my other roommates in the room for not noticing him sooner.

I waved my finger around pointing at the offending visitor before I could spit out the words.

"OH MY GOD! That is a mouse!"

He didn't care about my distress or my refusal to continue down the last two steps. He just sat there calmly watching the Red Sox/Royals game as if he did that every night. For all we knew that could be his nightly routine. He didn't scurry or run away to hide in a secret crevice and tell his mousy friends about the crazy girl perched on the steps pointing wildly at him and to laugh over her sputtering.

"Do Something J! I'm NOT leaving this step!"

J walks by him and into the kitchen. He takes a tupperware container and places it over the intruder. The dilemma is about what to do now? I'm instructed to hold the tupperware down while we figure out how to get him to stay enclosed. Finally we manage to slip the dust pan underneath the container and I hear a faint squeaking as his tail slips out. J brings him out side and to the dumpster across the street.

I momentarily feel bad, he was only a tiny little thing, but four roommates is enough, thank you very much.

No comments: