Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Wine and Texting do not mix.... Or do they?

I'm shameless lately.

Friend C came over for dinner last night bearing a bottle of wine. I should know better by now not to drink with C due to her self-proclaimed low tolerance and penchant for having one glass of wine, prompting me to over compensate, typically having two to three glasses.

While preparing dinner I hear the familiar chirping of a text message on my phone. Figuring it was C letting me know that she was running late, imagine my surprise to see it was from a certain MIA Dr. The same man, who as of last Wednesday, did not posses text messaging. Several harmless messages are exchanged, then silence. Okay, whatever, the novelty of the new text messaging wears thin rather quickly.

C arrives, dinner is ready, wine is being poured. The night progresses and the frustration sets in. I don't know how MORE available I can make myself. Ask me out! Two glasses in at this point.

After another glass, American Idol/Gilmore Girls hybrid, C calls it a night and I'm left with my thoughts. At some point, I think it would be funny to text the man "Whatcha wearing?"

There is no chirping response. I silently curse my drunken self and trudge off to bed to think about what I have done. I was just about to doze off when the familiar chirps fill the silent room.

"Nothing, what about you?" A girl can't lie, so I text back brazenly and a conversation takes place, one that I'm blushing about now just thinking about it. Ending with "I think I like the sassy Kate" (not sure how I feel about the word sassy, but he's older so I'll let it slide) and the possibility for drinks tonight. If he gets out of work on time.

As of now, my drunken, shameless texting has produced favorable results, not to mention an extra $7.00 on my cell phone bill. In the light of day, as I review my actions, the classic over thinker that I am, I'm wondering where this new "sassy" Kate has come from. I kind of like her, but I'm afraid she may get me into trouble eventually. Brazen hussey that she is, she will probably blame it on the wine.

No comments: