Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Social Lives of Mom and Dad

My parents have a better social life than I do. I realized last night when I decided that my gift for my mother is a set of plastic martini glasses and a bar-quality rim Salter from Crate and Barrel and the fact that I'm eyeing a Tiki Bar from Target for Father's day. They always have weekend plans doing one thing or another, trying new restaurants, shooting down to Foxwoods for a weekend, or just having people over for dinner and drinks.

Just one of my mom's cosmos can put me on my ass.

A couple of weeks ago, on a particularly low Friday, I just wanted to go have dinner with my parents, I called home and announced that I would be arriving shortly and was expecting to be met with excitement of them seeing their only daughter, but instead was met with hesitation.

"Well we having heard from G and S yet, but of course you can come. Would you want to come out with us?"
"No! I feel like enough of a loser without having to crash my parents plans."
"Well, fine just come home we'll get dinner."
"Well I don't want to ruin your night"
"Don't be silly. Just come home" But her heart wasn't in it. I sensed a little regret.

I went anyway. I was having a bad day.

Ever feel like you're cramping your mom and dad's style? Its a weird feeling that leaves you feeling a little disoriented and mixed up. How dare they have other things to do besides live for their children!? I'm really bad at this growing up thing. At least they are the only people in the world that I feel comfortable enough to be completely selfish with and a little crazy. My mom is probably the only person in the world whom I can call 5 times in one hour, not leave a voice message and not feel like a complete psycho and then when she finally answers or calls back to ask what I wanted I can say "Nothing."

Everyone needs a person like that in their life.

No comments: