Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Reality Check

I want to move to San Diego, in theory.

I think about it daily, I look for apartments (G. Doesn't know that one) and I look for jobs. It has all been a beautiful fantasy until the phone call last night. I was just getting into American Idol, which was horrible by the way, and my phone rang showing an 858 area code. Thinking it could only be G from some random number, I answer somewhat idiotically. It was not G, it was the HR director from a job I applied to late last week. Its an entry-level position in a great institution that would be utilizing all my degrees. I would get my foot in the door and it sounded like a fun position. She told me normally they don't look out of state and that I do seem like I would be over qualified for the position. I knew this, but I'm glad she said it. She said that my resume stood out and even though it was technically an entry level position they were looking for leadership in that role because there were going to be a lot of changes taking place and they accepted my salary requirements or at least knew my range and still called me.

Then she asked me my plans. I froze.

I don't know my plans! I didn't know what to say at first and she sensed my hesitation.

"Are you planning to move here or are you waiting for the right position to move out for?"
"Well I do want to move back to the area, but the right position would make that all the more possible" There that sounded reasonable, right?

We left it that I would call her before I went to SD in two weeks to see if they had managed to fill the position and if not I would go in and meet with them.

It was surreal, I mean I applied for the job, but I didn't necessarily think they would call me back.

No comments: