Friday, August 03, 2007

Movin Out and Movin On

At one point during the move I crossed paths with my dad, he on his way out of my nearly empty room and me on my in. He had with him some miscellaneous items that didn't make it into any boxes, a belt I never wore, the remote from my TV and a dust riddled, inside out sock.

He waves it at me.

"Been looking for this?" He's being sarcastic as usual. My mother and I are not known for our organizational skills or our neatness. He, however, is as neat and organized as they come. Think Danny Tanner (Bob Saget) from Full House, complete with Vacation Clip Boards. Unfortunately none of those traits were passed down to any of his children.

Quick example: When I started my new job in June, I needed a copy of my immunization history. I haven't had any immunizations since the summer before entering college. Um that was Ten years ago. (good lord, ten years ago). My mom and I looked around for a while and conceded we would have to call my pediatrician's office or the notice said they could give me the immunizations I couldn't prove I had already gotten. (gulp) Before we did that we employed the good' ol "Wait until your father gets home first."

He walked in the door, I posed my question, two minutes later I had a manila folder in my hand with every piece of information from my college application. Acceptance letter, confirmation of me decided to go there, all my grade reports, and best of all my immunization report. The man is a wonder.

ANYWAY

I glance at the sock and chuckle. "That's G's"

"Are you saving it as a shrine?" He shoots back.

I laugh out loud. "Toss it."

Somehow in the back of my mind I knew it was under there somewhere. When I first found it, I was too lazy to pick it up. Then when we stopped talking I knew it was still there. Now as I looked at this disgusting gym sock, covered in thick dust bunnies and hair. (I shed a lot) It struck me as perfect metaphor for our relationship.

Yes. Toss it.

No comments: