Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Close to the End

I didn't really want to write about this, but here it goes.

I rescheduled with the personal trainer. I didn't really want to, but I cancelled the first time and she had called me twice since then, so I figured that I probably wasn't going to be able to shake them. They are like pit bulls. Actually in retrospect she some what resembled a pit bull, but I digress.

My appointment was last night at 7. From my post yesterday, you can tell I was so UP for the challenge. It was the worst day of the month for me to have this scheduled on. I had no foresight.

I arrive and we go to "talk". I just wanted it to be over with. Everything was irritating me that night. My sneakers were tight, my sports bra was riding up or down depending on the moment and my face was breaking out.

First I got to get weighed. Again, the perfect day for this seeing as I was retaining more water than the Hoover Dam. I feel it was way off. At my estimates, I am 5'6" and I fluctuate between 140 and 145 lbs. No, I'm not satisfied with that, but I don't feel like I look like I weigh that much, I've just always been very proportional.

Trainer had a different idea, once she determined my body fat percentage she announced that I was in the "high risk" category.

I blinked at her and I'm pretty sure my mouth was open a little.

"I'm sorry?"

"Yes, the high risk, it means you are more at risk for heart disease, diabetes and stroke."

I'm a size 6 people. I looked down at myself. "I really don't think I look that bad." Trying to retain some bit of self-respect.

I know that I definitely need to hit the gym and that my fat content is probably a little higher than my muscle content, but close to those diseases? I'm not buyin it.

Which is exactly what they want. For you to buy it. I don't even think she was legitimate and later my brother confirmed that the trainers at said gym are not certified. They are put through the gym's program.

I told her I mainly joined the gym for the cardio machines. I really hate the gym, but I can't afford my own elliptical, so there I am. She of course doesn't believe in cardio, so strike 75 in her book. I also told her I can't afford to sign up for sessions and I really have no goals above feeling good.

"Okay, well if you just want to do cardio, then maybe I can help you with your diet. What did you eat today."

"I had a Luna bar and Coffee with skim milk and sugar for breakfast, a light English muffin with peanut butter, a non-fat vanilla yogurt with raspberries and 100 calorie pack of Cape Cod Chips for lunch and I drink water all day. I haven't had dinner yet."

"Oh okay, well you should try not to have sugar in your coffee and drop the Cape Cod chips." and she proceeded to drone on and tell me everything I already knew. Its a damn good thing I wasn't paying for this.

She finally gave up.

I did her work out, I finished her work out, and of course I broke a sweat. I know I'm out of shape, but let me tell you, if I were really "obese" and "high risk" I wouldn't have been able to complete the first exercise.

I was very annoyed and more than a little embarrassed that this troll-like mutant was looking down on me. At least I look feminine and not like some female version of Popeye.

Grrrrr.

I wouldn't want to look like her, she frightened me.

In the end she outlined the package for me. For the unbelievably astronomical sum I could have her ridicule me. Ummm, no thanks!

UGH! I'm STILL angry.

No comments: