Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Good Times

Its unbelievable how much not hating your job makes your life better.

Waking up and not dreading the day a head of you works wonders in all aspects of your life. For the first time in a really long time I feel like my life has so much more potential! I don't feel stuck in a rut or in a funk or like nothing will ever go my way. Now that the move has past and I'm settling into the new job I just feel good!

New apartment, new routine, new gym as of yesterday; its falling into place. Now if only I could get my Registration stickers and get my parking permit I would be all set! That is the only thorn in my side.

I came to this revelation on Sunday while speeding across Buzzards Bay in a speed boat on the way back from Cuttyhunk. I had gone on a spur of the moment trip with friends to the tiny island. I was a little reluctant to go at first, feeling extremely lazy, but I pulled myself together and we were on our way. It was a gorgeous day, the kind that made it a crime to be indoors. We had anchored in the shallow harbor and dived into the icy waters from the stern of the boat. I hadn't swam in the ocean in longer than I can remember and was thrilled when I plunged into the cool saltiness of the water. It took me back about fifteen years when I spent a few night moored in the same harbor on my friend's sailboat.

As much as I resist it, I am a product of New England. Everything about the place strikes a sense of nostalgia. Just one hint of the salt waters conjured up images of sandy sun bleached summers of years past.

I can almost go as far as to say I felt rejuvenated by the water, like it provided some life-blood that I have been missing. It was as if my body knew, independent of me because when my friend asked me where we wanted to go, I replied at once that I wanted to go swimming, not even thinking about it first.

When you grow up with salt in your veins its hard to eradicate it and even though I spent time on the West Coast around some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, I will never feel as comfortable as I do on a small strip of rocky sand stretching into a calm green-blue depth of a New England beach.

I smiled to myself streaming back to the main land. I turned my head and briefly laid my tongue on the curve of my shoulder relishing the taste of salt drying visibly on my skin, tightening and redening in the sun.

Feeling your body adjust after a day in the ocean has to be one of the most satisfying feelings in the world.

No comments: