Friday, June 16, 2006

The Great Plate Debate

Tomorrow night is my best friend J's wedding shower. I am in the wedding with three other girls, and therefore part of the shower planning.

I'm in charge of plates. Easy right?

Absolutly wrong!

Should they be printed? Should they be solid? How much should they be? What colors? Will they clash with the table cloths? (M's job, ivory). Will they clash with the flowers? (S's job, dark pink and light pink rose petals) Will they be sturdy enough? Will there BE enough?

All these questions and my personal self-doubt about my taste in paper plates makes for a very stressful shopping trip.

I found myself in Itzaparty, (I really just like saying the name of that store). They have everything you could possibly want for a party and I was absolutely amazed by their stock. I didn't have time for admiring the other party stuff, I was on a mission since I was having dinner with the unaware bride-to-be that evening. I exchanged camera photos of some printed plates with M, which didn't work out.

"Are they black and red stripes with purple?" M asked after receiving the picture.

"No, they're Brown, pink and lighter pink striped."

"Oh my phone screwed the colors up. It looks Bright white in the middle."

"No its Ivory."

"Oh, well I can't tell."

"Never mind, they're $5.65 for 8 plates and we need at the very least 100 plates."

"Oh, try Wal Mart."

Which led my adventure in plate-getting over to the ghetto Wal Mart. Where I didn't see much just one possibility; however, my phone didn't work in the store, so I had to trek outside to try and phone M back, when my phone rang and it was K, sister of the bride and maid of honor. Also her twin so we are all close.

We literally had a 25 minute conversation on plates, finally coming to the decision that printed plates ARE too expensive for the number of people we are expecting and that we should get an assortment of ivory and different pinks in plates, dessert plates and napkins. So back in Itzaparty, I start stacking up all the plates and napkins and it was like a solo comedy sketch, first dropping one thing at a time, than another when I bent down to pick up the dropped item, and then finally everything. Taking a deep breath, I organized everything, fit them under my chin and staggered to the check out counter. I really hope they didn't have surveillance video.

$49.57 later that plates were set. WHEW! I was exhausted!

Finally home and actually had time to sit, when I get a text message. Fearing the plate debate was about to be rehashed, I gingerly open my phone and to my great suprise its from D.

The same D who fled after the movie and has been MIA, yet again, for about two weeks.

"Wassup? How are you? I'm in Florida heading back to Boston, had a credentialing interview at the hospital here in St. Petersburg."

D has a way of writing text messages that I have no idea how to really respond to. I coyly wait about 30 minutes and then text back.

"Hey! Not too much going on here. I just got back from a trip myself."

"Where'd you go?"

"California"

"Wow! Fun? I hope so!" and then before I could respond.

"Visiting that guy you dated a while back?" I felt it was a little prying for the kind of relationship that we have. The kind of relationship that is practically non-existent.

"Well I still have a lot of friends out that way, but yes I did see him."

"I'm glad you had a nice weekend, you deserve it, getting on the plane, talk soon. Smooch!"

Smooch? The man is 33. Though I do have to hand it to D, he has impeccable timing. He arrives just when I need a distraction from G.

I miss G and I hate it.

We'll see if the "talk soon" and smooches happen!

No comments: