Friday, June 30, 2006

Four-Day Weekend!

I don't really have any plans, but I'm kind of warming up to the idea. My favorite weekends are when I can just lounge by my parent's pool, eat their food, drink their beer and bother them. When I'm there I don't feel the need to go out and assert my single-girl twenty-something status. I'm pretty content to lay out and fall asleep on the couch by Ten, watching baseball and the Food Network.

My life has been caught in the doldrums lately. My move is in two weeks, so that should be exciting, if not a giant pain in the ass!

I've expressed my distress of packing up my whole apartment to my father.

"What do you have to pack, just throw in all in the Uhaul."

"Dad! I have dishes, they break you know? I have about 24 place settings and glasses, not to mention all the margarita, martini and wine glasses. And all those pans, I don't want them to get scratched, and my clothes and just little annoying things. It makes me nauseous just thinking about it. Will you do it for me?" Trying to play the only daughter card.

He just laughed.

"It won't be that bad."

Oh I think it will though. I swept my apartment last night when I got home, because I was embarrassed for a perfect stranger to see my unkempt apartment.

It was GROSS!

I really don't have the house keeping gene, my mother doesn't have it either. If my dad wasn't a neat freak we would have grown up in squalor. I did get the cooking gene from my mom, so if we had grown up in squalor, at least we would have been well-fed.

Just got off the phone with my cleanliness-challenged mother. The kitchen floor is being ripped up and she wanted to tell me that the guy working on the floor was cute. She knew much to much information about him for me to be comfortable with this development. I know she would never say anything about her single dating-challenged daughter, at least I don't THINK so. She never has done anything like that, but sometimes I feel like its only a matter of time before she's trying to pick up men for me in random places.

The first time I hear the words, "I met a really nice guy the other day at the gas station," is the day I know its all going down hill.

You think she could be satisfied by her two sons in good steady relationships, but I think we all know that the daughter is always the tortured one.

No comments: