Tuesday, May 15, 2007

1997 Throwback

Saturday night a couple of friend came over to my parents house to grill out. It was going to be civilized. One brought the steak the other brought brownies and I made rosemary roasted potatoes and macaroni salad. You know, a grown-up dinner.

We were just hanging out, drinking beer and talking, dinner was good and relaxing, another friend joined us, and then we got bored.

Boredom is a devious thing.

After a try at Smurf Spin Around, found in my basement, and a rejection of Girl Talk by the lone boy in the group, (you know, the truth or dare game where if you don't perform the dare and tell the truth you have to put a red dot on your face to simulate a zit?) we started to look for drinking games.

Before I knew it one younger brother and two of his friends show up and the seven of us are strategically place around my parents dining room table playing 7, 11, doubles. The game was hilarious, I'm not even going to try and describe it well, but it involved rolling dice and drinking shots of beer, which you had to grab before someone else grabbed your shot, or you would have to do two. I was sitting there with a roll of paper towels, mopping up every one's mess.

My parents walking in during the game, gave an amused look and went into the living room. The next day my dad said he felt that he had walking into 1997, like as soon as I heard that they were going out I invited all my friends over to play drinking games.

"The only difference was instead of scattering at the sound of the door handle you invited us to play!"

I'm back in Cambridge now. Being home for a week was strange. At times back home I could see myself regressing, grunting when I could say 'yes' or 'no'. Getting annoyed at the drop of a hat, but it was comforting too. Very mixed feelings about the whole thing, but I am happy to be home in my own space.

I'm sluggish today so far, I woke up late and now I don't feel like moving. Its not the nicest day out so I don't feel to guilty yet. I MAY make it to gym. That's my goal for the day.

That and willing the Big Boston Hospital will call me.

Crossing fingers!

No comments: