Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Bliss

At one point this past weekend I said to myself, "It doesn't get much better than this."

It was mid-afternoon, my belly was filled with a country breakfast, I was properly caffeinated, recently showered and dressed in my favorite, ten year old pants and an equally old worn t-shirt. Everyone else was napping, but not being a napper myself, I had settled myself in an Adirondack chair, my bare feet propped up book in hand. I was able to catch the last of the afternoon sun before the shade captured my spot. The view was indescribable. I sat there for a few moments contemplating how to describe such a view, but I knew I would never be able to do it justice.

It felt like a writing exercise when you try to come up with similies. "The leave were as red as..." or the "Lake shined like..." They all sounded stale, predictable. It was just so different than the scenery I'm used to. The leaves were amazing. It wasn't exactly peak foliage time, but there were smattering of reds and oranges sprinkled between the giant pines. The lake was calm and the hills rose above the horizon, gentily rolling along the length of the opposite shore.

I sat there for an hour or so, until the sun disappeared behind the house and the temperature dropped dramatically. The house was cozy though. The floor to ceiling windows provided the same view, but without the fresh air. The whole weekend was comfortable, a nice escape from what was left behind.

The company was great, there were no awkward moments, just good conversation, good food and great friends, as well as, one very well behaved dog, who stole the show. He was the kind of dog that makes you want to have a dog of your very own.

Sunday was rainy, but it allowed for more time to relax, watch football, and for GJ and me, time to finished all her place cards for the wedding. Her chocolate theme place cards included Hershey's Hugs, stuck through w/a tooth pick and flags with the name of the guest and their table assignments wrapped around them. They came out cute, but it was a lengthy process. I'm not the most crafty person, so I was a little tentative to help out lest I screwed some up, but one you got in the groove it was actually easy.

I was glad for this weekend. It was a nice reprieve before going back to work, roommate issues and relationship messes. It was nice to be able to sit there and sigh and feel absolutely content with that small spot in the world that you are occupying, even if it was fleeting.

It was nice to slow down.

Now I'm back, work is work, the roommates are bitchy, my car needs a new transmission, and in just 3 days, I will be wearing the first strapless dress ever. Hopefully by then this growth above my lip will fade so when K does my make up, she doesn't' have to make fun of me.

My name is Kate, I'm 27 years old and I still get the occasional blemish. There really aren't any perks to getting older.

No comments: