Thursday, October 05, 2006

Wedding Jitters

No, not the bride, but me.

I'm flying down to my home town after work to pick up my dress and I'm beyond nervous. I know the color will look great with my coloring, the style and fabric are great, the skirt is perfect for my figures, seeing as A-line is my friend, but that damn top is giving me nightmares.

The top is made, (or has been made) to wear with out a bra, and I'm a girl who wears a bra at all times. I'm sure it will be fine! (fingers and toes crossed!)

I'm excited for the weekend though. It seems like it was just yesterday we were planning her shower and I was trying to find the right plates. I'm so happy for GJ! She is the first one of my close friends to walk down the isle. S is next in about four weeks. I'm sure there will be many to follow.

It's strange and its not strange. GJ and her fiance are perfect for each other, they've been together for 6 years and living together for 4. This is just the culmination of everything.

GJ is probably one of the best friends that I have. She is strong, confident and probably the most straight forward and practical person I know. Talking to her about whatever is bothering me no matter how stupid or trivial it is always makes me feel better. The fact that she is always interested in what I am saying and always offers the best advice, makes her easy to talk to and share things with.

We grew up together, although we had a rocky start. Ever the perfectionist, GJ was a little put off by my eclectic coloring technique in a mutual friend's coloring book. Luckily, GJ soon recognized my creative genius and we became fast friends, though we always avoided coloring together. As we grew up we tore it up on the soccer fields, shared the basketball bench, and won second place in our elementary school's invention convention with out revolutionary design for a top-bunk/bottom-bunk table. Obviously GJ's design.

As we got older nothing really changed. GJ and K would summer with my family down the Cape and I would go with them to Maine or camping. The tree of us also managed to survive a month in Europe by ourselves, backpacking from city to city, country to country relying only on GJ's organization and trusty guide book. K and I would just follow behind, knowing she would find us a place to sleep or get us on time to the next train.

I know that GJ is the first person I would turn too if I need help or advice, and I'm SO happy and excited for her as she takes this huge step in her life and I'm so proud to be able to be a part of it!

Congratulations J And D! I love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was the nicest blog Kate!!
See you next weekend!!! Have fun this weekend...I'm sure your tatters will stay put!!!
love you!