Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Bff's 4 Eva

For some reason, when S and I found out that we were going to be each other's freshman year roommates we both cried. There really was no GOOD reason for us both being so dramatic, but we were young, we were both coming from comfortable High School situations and, well, College was scary.

We vaguely knew who each other were because we were both in the same orientation group. It was rare that people in the same group actually became random roommates. I told S I thought she was a lesbian, and she told me that she first thought I was the weird, scary girl from our group who actually left orientation early. While I did want to leave early, I stuck it out.

Obviously, we were both wrong.

I didn't actually think S was a lesbian, I just liked to kid her about her embarrassing mistake in a stupid ice breaker game where you had to run to a different shoe when certain characteristics applied to you. When our leader announce "the wind blows for whomever likes the girl on top." (yes very mature) S, not paying attention had the misfortune to run AND get stuck in the middle, thus magnifying her mistake. Oh the hoots and cat calls could be heard all over the campus! I, on the other hand, had my foot firmly stuck to my own shoe.

Lucky for us, none of the freshman roommate horror stories applied to us. We got along great! S made fun of my undies and opened my world to shopping and the fact that I shouldn't wear brown shoes with black and many other fashion tips. In return, I kept S highly amused with my clumsy antics. I garantee today she can't think of me falling down the front steps at our freshman dorm in front of both our families without laughing out loud.

Flash forward 9 years later and we were at her bachelorette party this past weekend. I have to admit I didn't think the old girl would settle down, but she has been tamed and is getting married on November 4th. (hehe, J/K, S)

We don't get to see each other much, but it seems when we do its like we hang out every day. I never laugh so much around another person as I do around S. It didn't matter that we were in the most pretentious bar in Boston, we were just able to be ourselves. Like we were back in college, being goofy, saying inappropriate things to inappropriate boys, only to kick ourselves later and laugh like crazy over it. I even had the pleasure of running into an old college classmate in the bathroom, running back to S and gossiping about how awkward it was and being catty about her in general. The night was a blast. Me assuring S that she didn't lose her purse, S assuring me that I didn't look like a slut in my new slutty shirt.

Just like old times.

If only the Hill was open so we could get grilled cheese sandwiches, go back to a our turquoise and lime green coordinated dorm room, and watch "Dazed and Confused" for the 35th time, only this time S won't have to leave me to finish the movie by myself so she can fight with her BF in the hallway.

The freshman roommate gods were obviously in a good mood when they paired S and I together!

I can't wait for the wedding!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so did I drink too much...who did you run into!?!??!?! I don't remember this!??! boozie :-) You are too nice :) I had so much fun too...and you def didn't look slutty. and YES I am laughing now thinking about the time you fell down the stairs...ahhhhhh, good times. I LOVE YOU!!!!