Monday, September 18, 2006

Last Week in Review

Whew!

I was glad it was Monday. Then Monday started.

First I want to flash back to the end of last week. IT was a long trying week, but it was moving along quickly and most of it was under control and I was pretty proud of the way everything had gone at work. I knew I was running myself into the ground though. Lots of caffeine, little food and a lot of worrying and stress.

Thursday was a somewhat humiliating day in retrospect and even though I was disgusted with myself for doing so, I paid extra attention to my appearance because Thursday is My Crush's teaching day. I was slightly nervous all day, since he doesn't start teaching until 4:45. The office was busy and I was occupied, but turned to see his back at the mailboxes and the I had to take a phone call and that was it. Not backwards glance, no small smile, no acknowledge of any kind.

I could feel my face burn and the irritation sink in. So it didn't work out dating, but we still work together. Can't we be cordial? Above all I was embarrassed. I can't even pretend to know what went wrong, the whole situation is just embarrassing now.

I even had to call Ex M for a little reinforcement on the way home. He actually was a big help and made me feel so much better. He had a great response to my whole story.

"Seriously Kate, He is either gay or has a girlfriend."

I like his response because both his reasons really have nothing to do with me. Except if he is gay, I'm not a man.

Friday came and I was happy to see it. I knew it was going to be a quieter day, with a much smaller schedule and less people to deal with. I also was getting out at 2:00 because in the warped minds of my bosses that seemed fair for making me work on Saturday. Maybe if I didn't have to work the following Saturday that would make sense and I could get a jump-start on the weekend, but nope, I got to be back at work at 9 am the next morning.

I was talking to a woman at the counter about her sons piano lessons, when I started squinting and blinking, there was a glare on her face. I smiled apologetically and turned away for a moment. I turned back to the woman and tried to continue my conversation, but the glare was still there. I squeezed my eyes close and pinched the bridge of my nose. I was very aware of how strange I was acting, and was starting to get embarrassed. I shook my head once to possible clear the glare, but it didn't' t work. I had to face the facts.

The woman looked at me with concern. "Are you okay?"

I squeeze my eyes shut again, "No" I said miserably. "I'm getting a migraine." I had an aura which is my tell for a migraine. Its usually like if you look at a bright light and then see the glare, but it also distorts things. I can't see strait, read or focus. Seeing them usually produces instant nausea and distress of what was to follow.

I instantly down four advil and hope for the best, but the aura isn't going away, and that's always the worst part. I knew the only way to get rid of it is to sleep it off, but of course I couldn't drive and there was no one to cover me until 2. It was 10:30.

I walked into my bosses office mouth open for deep breaths and eyes squinted so as not to see the aura.

My boss looks up. "Are you okay? You have the Jon Header thing going on." It took me a second in my foggy brain to realize he was comparing me to Napoleon Dynamite. Thanks Boss!

"No, I'm not okay. I have a migraine." I push through the other door in his office and make a bee-line to the restroom where I was spectacularly sick. I really did think the week was going to get better, but the migraine proved me wrong. I managed to make it home and slept all afternoon, allowed my pathetic sick self McDonald's for dinner and watched the Wedding Date with J. J can always be counted on for a chick flick.

The migraine subsided just in time for this nasty cold to set in.

My body is FURIOUS with me!

No comments: