Friday, September 22, 2006

And the Hits Keep Coming

I knew it would happen eventually. I had to have contact with My Crush for work purposes. I was dreading it, knowing that I would some how end up sounding stupid and/or pathetic, but it had to be done.

I'm nothing if not professional!

So I call and his phone goes right to voicemail. I leave the message stating the purpose of my call. Lucky for me I have this sick/nasal/raspy/sexy voice thing going on.

He calls back and he uses his full name when I answer the phone, like I need the clarification. We get the business stuff out of the way, it entailed placing a new student on his schedule.

"So you'll let me know if she's starting next week?" He asks.

"Maybe." I chuckle. "Or maybe I'll just tell you next week when you show up."

He laughs, "Ouch!"

Then I feel my smart mouth had made me sound more vindictive than flirty, so I switch to business.

"I'll give the mother a call and then get back to you." My crisp business tone is back, hampered only slightly by my stuffy nose.

I call the mom and she is starting the next week, so I call him back to get it out of the way. Let me just say, I'm nervous making this call. It uncontrollable and it makes me furious! I feel like I'm back in eight grade calling a boy I like and not really know what I'm going to say.

He answers, I relay the message. Then I have to ask him another question.

"Did you get all that information that I left you about that ensemble." More work talk, but I don't really care if he got it or not I'm trying to prolong the conversation. "Flute Teacher had me going in circles trying to figure out what information to give you, so I wasn't positive if that's what you needed?"

"Yah, I got it. Flute Teacher is making my life annoying right now with this." Then he laughs. "Every time I see him I think of that story you told me about him. How after hours he dances around the place playing his flute!" He laughs more, damn him for being flirty!

"That's not what I said!" I protest, laughing along with him. "You're going to get me in trouble for telling stories about this place!"

"Yah, Its too late I've told everyone!"

"Yah I'm sure!" We're both laughing, it seems comfortable.

Then abruptly. "Okay well thanks, bye"

I pause, "Umm, bye."

That's it.

The most frustrating part is that I've convinced myself that we wouldn't have been a good fit and it probably wouldn't have lasted, but I thought we had fun, and we always laughed when we talked and hung out. I guess you can just never tell.

On top of this event, I got a call from G. He's back in the country, but we having talked yet, because we wait for him to adjust to the time difference and I don't like talking to cranky G. He called while I was at lunch, and didn't have my phone with me to tell me that he's getting on a plane tonight and won't be able to call me for a while.

It makes me sad because I was so looking forward to hearing from him. I'm also sad because his birthday is Sunday and I had sent him a gift and now he won't get it. Its his 30th too.

Oh well. I think I'm going to go find a nice big rock to climb under for a while.

No comments: