Friday, June 08, 2007

The Next Adventure

Now that I have taken care of one of the life changes that I have to endure: employment, I'm onto the next one: Shelter.

Hoo Boy is this going to be fun.

First of all. J screwed me over. (I know! Shocking right?!) [muttered with extreme sarcasm]

All the year we've been living together. J would say, "Kate we need to get a two bedroom!" or "I can't stand P or A, I can't wait till we get our own place." So silly Kate thought that would be what happened.

A couple of weeks ago, J and I were walking to get some lunch and I brought up the subject of moving. "So what are we going to do? Do you want to stay where we are and find someone to take A's place, since he's definitely moving in with his shadow, oh I mean C?"

"Oh," he's looking very uncomfortable. "I'm moving in with M." M is is friend from an old job. I think she (god forbid) has a crush on J. She's the one that sleeps in his bed. Ugh I just threw up a little thinking about it.

So needless to say I'm shocked. I thought it was all set! Its not that I was looking forward to living with J again, but the thought of living with J was much less scary than a) living with a complete stranger or b) trying to afford my own place.

I suppose you could say he was the lesser evil; however, evil just the same.

So now I'm on my own, navigating the fabulous world of Craigslist to find a roommate. Now that I know where I'm working, it helps looking for places, but there's no guarantee with people so its scary and frustrating at the same time.

I looked at an apartment a couple of nights ago. It was cheap and exactly a 1 minute walk from my current apartment. I know I like the area and I know its not too bad for the commute to work. (Oh my god work! I can't think about it, it gives me butterflies.)

The apartment was really small, but I could make it work. The girl advertising the apartment hugged me when I walked in. I started to shrink away from her, but I figured that would hurt my chances, so I hugged back. I mean I don't think she'll hug me everyday? Will she!? No, that's a little much. So yah, I put my hand out for a hand shake and get a hug.

Her bedroom is tiny, so mine would be the bigger of the two, although its not much bigger. The kitchen was the biggest room in the apartment which suits me fine. The bathroom was adequate, the back yard was okay, I guess the fact that there was a back yard was a plus. It was just adequate. I could make it work. If I had to.

At the end she asked me my astrological sign. I hope my expression of disbelief didn't shine through my perma-smile, but I'm open, whatever floats your boat. I'm a Taurus she's a Cancer. We are compatible. Thank the lord!

I'm looking at another place on Monday night to live with two guys. I think I do better with guys, but if they try to hug me I'm out the door. Talk about stressful day! Its within walking distance to work, so that's a big plus. Well a big plus except for November-April. HA!

So its from job interviews to apartment interviews. I think the apartment ones are worse. At least in job interviews your resume speaks for you at first. Its cut and dry. This is what I've done, this is what I can do and this is how I can work for your organization. With the apartment interviews is all subjective. They will either like you or they won't. They don't care if you can multi-task and whip up a PowerPoint presentation in five minutes. They want to know if you're going to squeeze the toothpaste from the bottom or not, (not that I share toothpaste, its just an example) or if you talk to yourself and hang swords on the wall. (Married friend from Texas totally knows what I'm talking about. If I were interviewing roommates that would be one of my questions. Oh and are you on any medication that you may leave around for us to find as well as, little notebooks filled with strange musings.)

ANYWAY!

So yah, fun stuff ahead. New job, apartment searching, and T commuting! Now I'm off to enjoy my LAST DAY OF FREEDOM by laying by the pool and possibly getting drunk, but I'll wait till after noon. Maybe.....

No comments: