Friday, January 26, 2007

And So It Begins

I'm sitting on my couch, all cozy, because in this lovely town of Boston it was about 8 degrees, watching Access Hollywood, when my phone signals that I have a text message.

Hmm...I wonder who that could be?

It is of course D, the only person who texts me now a days.

"That you up to?" D is the WORST text messager ever. He doesn't pay attention and leaves me to decipher what he is trying to say. I think I even got a message sometime over the weekend with the word "wolf" in it.

I reply that I'm not doing much and I ask him what he's doing.

"Just got off work!" He's very excited I guess.

"Oh so late!" I have no idea what to respond to that, "How have you been?"

"I tend to work late! I'm good. How far do you live from the city these days?"

My radar goes up. I think our dear doctor friend may be looking for a little company and not the extended kind. I reply that I'm very close to the city now and ask him where he lives.

He replies with his street address and adds, "Want to come over for a drink and see the place?"

I pause, I really do want to hang out with him and see his new place, but I know I can't right now. There is no psychological reason and I'm not playing hard to get. The reason I can't see him right now is because I have a massive cold sore on the upper right corner of my lip. Its on its way out, but its at the flaming red scabby stage and I don't want our first encounter in six months to involve him politely ignoring It and me trying to hide It with my hair.

Before I can think of a response. (A was no help seeing he suggested that I "share the love") D texts me back.

"The only catch is that I told people from work that I would meet them out at 9:30-10ish."

Well that makes my decision much easier. Earlier in the week I had told J I would go check out a band with him, but I was probably going to back out of that, but it provided me with a valid excuse without have to admit to lip fungus. I was also slightly put out and confused. Not really being in tune with D and his intentions, I wasn't sure if that was "So you'll have to get the hell out before I go." or "We'll have to go out."

I was leaning more towards, the "You'll have to leave."

I was happy to get that text before I had responded. So I just sent a text telling him I already made plans with my roommate, but that we should get together soon.

It was met with silence until the next random texting session.

I'm sure it was just for a quick hook up or what ever, and I'm actually okay with that, but this was a little too quick, like he was fitting me in.

I have a tiny bit more self-respect than that, but this is not over. I will see his new place and find out the story of why he's back in Boston.

I will also have pretty lips at the time.

No comments: