Friday, July 11, 2008

The Future?

"I thought I wouldn't have to deal with this for another 20 or so years?" I was perched on his brown leather sofa, enjoying the coolness seep into my legs after my hot walk from the T.

"Neither did I." He retorted.

He was lying on the love seat, pillow behind his back grimacing every so often. He had already demonstrated how he has to stand crooked and walk with a slight limp.

"Does this happen often?" I asked. He grimaced again and shifted his position.

"No, but it has happened before. I'll be fine."

"Are you sure? You don't look fine!" I start to laugh, I couldn't help it. The more I think of it our encounters become more and more surreal.

Here I am on his couch after a month and he is laid up with his back out. The last time we hooked up, I left and three hours later was half dead on my bathroom floor. I was surprised, sitting there, that I was able to choke down the vodka tonic when the last time it unceremoniously left my body in a not fun way.

"I'm glad you think this is funny!" He growls.

I bite back the smile and try to look sympathetic, but I can't do it. I'm wondering why he thought this would be a good idea in the first place. This day, when he's in pain, after exactly 4 weeks of not talking.

His first text was funny to. "Hey, long time no talk. You get a boyfriend or something, no longer in need of my services? lol!"

Very strange, but there I was, on the couch not exactly sure how to proceed.

"I'll be okay!" He promised. I'll chalk it up to another first for me, but I would feel horrible if he hurt himself more. "We may have to stand up." He muses. I blush.

In the end it worked out well, god knows how he felt the next day, but that's really not my concern. He's a big boy, he knows his limits.

Plus, in his profession he has access to the good drugs.



PS. Off to the Cape for a FULL WEEKS VACATION! HOLY HELL! I can't remember the last time that this has happened while I was employed!

No comments: