Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sticky

Here in Boston, we are in the middle of heat wave. It has be unseasonable warm the past 4 days and frankly, I'm sick of it. This is ruining summer for me.

Its taking me forever just to decided what to wear! What will keep me cool? What will mask the inevitable sweat stains that appear? What won't make me look like a sweaty, bloated whale? Its fun and I'm running out of options.

Last night at dinner with my brother, I was wearing a greet khaki skirt that hit maybe two or three inches above the knee for the second time in three days because my wardrobe is that lacking and we were in a vinyl booth. All was fine and dandy until we went to leave and I got up and it felt like all of skin on the back of my thighs had been left on the vinyl. I was positive there was an audible ripping sound which then cause me to shriek in pain and my brother burst into laughter and pushed me out door before I could cause a scene, since my eyes were pricked with tears. It was embarrassing and very VERY painful. Stupid heat, stupid vinyl and stupid short skirt! UGH!

Its a little cooler today. I don't deal with heat well. Its right up there with close talkers and affection. I was almost reduced to tears this morning during my commute. The air WAS a bit cooler and there was a breeze so I managed to make it to the station with minimal sweating, and I figured it was a victory because when I got on the train it would be air conditioned. I figured I would be cool, my hair would stay strait and I wouldn't look like a wilted flower when I got to work. The train and I got to the station at the same time and I stepped aboard waiting for the cool air to hit my face and I was hit with a wall of HEAT! To my great dismay the heat was on in the train car, or the air just wasn't working and blowing hot air instead. Either way, it was effing hot and I was miserable. I sat fanning myself and unsticking my shirt from my back for the whole ride and I could pretty much hear my hair frizzing. I only let my eyes water before I blinked them back. I was very distressed though.

Sigh... summer is here! It should be cooler next week. I'm hoping this week was a fluke.

2 comments:

Adrian said...

you call 80s a heat wave?

that would be considered a cool day in my neck of the woods.

Kate said...

Haha! It was the High 90's! What can I say, heat makes me cranky. :-)