Friday, January 25, 2008

Who's Stalking Whom?

In a small attempt to save money, I rarely buy lunch at work. I bring stuff from home and eat at my desk with my latest novel, so as not to be tempted to get a better lunch. Seeing that I've been obsessed with English muffins with peanut butter and banana this week, it would not be hard thing to be distracted.

Work has been a little mundane, so when Co-Worker mentioned she was heading to the Au Bon Pain at the Main Site, I decided to tag along. Shake it up a little! I know I'm so crazy.

We walk to the Main Site and of course I had to change into my commuting Uggs, or my feet would have been bloody stumps of frozen flesh by the time we got there. In other words, I was frumpy.

Now I have been to this particular ABP two whole times in the seven months since starting at my job. I know ONE person who works at the place and of course, who do I see as soon as I walk in. Yup! That familiar spiky head and that body in scrubs, yum! Yah I'm still in possession of my full-fledged Dr. fetish.

My heart starts racing and my face gets hot. I don't like seeing him in real life! I don't know how to act. I can't NOT go up to him, so I turn to Co-worker.

"That's D. I guess I should go say hi."

So I walk over, and his back is to me and I lean in and say, "Are you stalking me?" Um yes, I'm serious. I did say that. Why? Because I'm a social idiot.

He turns and after the flicker of surprise smiles and says hi. Then his phone rings. He answers it and busy myself getting my salad. I'm still nervous and pretty much walking around like an idiot and getting in peoples way. He gets off the phone.

"Hey how are you? I was thinking about you yesterday."

"You were? Why?" I'm so witty.

"I was just wondering how you were. Did you walk here?"

"Yes." Still a great conversationalist. His phone rings again, he answers it, I grab a drink and get in line. Co-Worker is behind me and I check out. He gets in line behind her, so all I manage is a "Bye" when I pass him.

Then of course I beat myself up over this encounter through lunch until I can't take it anymore and text him.

"Sorry if that was weird. I never know if I should bother you!"

He writes back quickly, "Why weird? We're friends, of course you should say hi."

We text a little bit, then I make some comment about my weakness for his butt in his scrubs and it kinda takes off from there.

We ended up hanging out last night and I brought up how its weird for me to see him in real life, it throws me off. He just said I was silly and I shouldn't ignore him in public. I know I'm silly, but when you're used to unpredictable male reactions, you can never be sure of where you stand and what you should think and how you should act. Its frustrating.

He unnerves me in public, at his place I'm fine.

Last night was fun though, well its always fun. I'm not sure when I'll see him again, he's heading to a Central American country to perform 45 pro-bono cleft palate surgery's.

C'mon? Seriously? How can you not like him?

No comments: