Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Throw Back Weekend

Thanksgiving weekend has always been a strange weekend. Wednesday night always has served as an unofficial high school reunion. Its fun, but has always been bizarre.

There was my first kiss on Thanksgiving Eve, then the subsequent staking by my "first kiss" the same night only five years later, another found SR and I in line for the bathroom at the only bar in our home town being berated by a former classmate for not telling her she was fat in high school. We weren't quite sure how to respond. I mean what do you say? I thought you knew?

I mean I could say the same thing back. Why didn't you tell me that wearing old sweaters found in my dad's closet wasn't cool and that wearing my sport's team warm up suit more than once a week was a no no. (Yes I was a jock.) I had to wait for freshman year at college for the wake-up call. Then I knew no brown shoes with a predominately black outfit, not boots with short sleeve T-shirts and jockey undies were not sexy. Although I think that last one could have gone without the constant mocking. Thanks S!

Oh if only I had taken advantage of my high school body. Sigh.

So tonight might be uneventful and it might be, no one can ever be sure. Oh did I mention the Thanksgiving Eve when a friend licked the whole side of my face, chin to temple. There's photographic evidence. Most likely me screaming EEEWWWW and him laughing hysterically.

Tonight will be interesting. There is a slight rift between friends and awkwardness abounds, but whatever, I just want to have fun, get tipsy enough so as not to ruin tomorrow's food fest and hang with friends.

Saturday is the official class reunion. It has been ten years. I don't really like to say that, its pretty unfathomable, but now I have proof in the form of a party. I don't know what to expect but it should be interesting. I'm pretty much still friends with all the people I hung out with, its a phenomenon of my town. Friends for life. In fact most of my close friends I've known since before Kindergarten. Especially SR, since we've known each other since before we were born. Her mom substituted for my mom when she went on maternity leave with me.

Needless to say, I'm sure I will be ready to get back to my real life come Sunday.

No comments: