Friday, April 28, 2006

Distraction

I had called his bluff. After many mentions of getting together, meeting for a drink or coffee, I contacted him out of the blue, telling him I was around the corner. Thirty minutes later we were walking towards another bar, virtually strangers.

We must have made and interesting couple. Me in my two inch too long jeans and north face fleece and him in his pretty mahogany colored leather jacket and spiky hair, arms linked, trotting through the public garden. Scrubby girl meets Mr. Metrosexual.

It was our first meeting in six months. He said there was something different about me, but wasn't sure what it was. I hope it was the new highlights and not the sadness. It can creep up on me, drawing my face down. He said I was more animated than he remembered. It was for both our sakes.

Some how we ended up on a feather bed on his fire escape. It was perfect, just what the doctor ordered good conversation and banter. It was nice to just laugh, to feel like I was doing something a little more spontaneous than usual. The view of the sky was amazing for being in the city, even stars were spotted. I couldn't help but wonder how many other girls were impressed by this set up, I didn't care.

There were no promises of another meeting, of calls or plans while I was leaving. Just another kiss, a couple more laughs and a wave.

For now, it was the perfect encounter.

No comments: